|Women in the Bible
|Lesson Thirty-seven: by turtle30c
Women do you not love it when your husband has friends over and the first thing he tells you
is go fix us something to eat. And of course depending on your background, on how you
respond. The woman might say oh go to the kitchen and fix it yourself, might say okay what
do you all want, or I got some stuff made will have it out in a jiffy. The fact is woman have
been cooking for men for years. When did this tradition start, probably in the caveman days.
Men would defend their woman and woman would make sure the man had three hot meals a
day. Now in today’s society men and woman have broken the traditions of passed. Is this a bad
thing. Not for us ladies. The fact is most women will agree a man that can cook is a prize,
especially if he does not dirty every pan in the house when cooking.
Abraham had visitors. special visitors to be exact. How many entertains God. Actually the
word Lord in this passage means God. So God here is walking just like us in human form with
other men. Some might wonder how is God able to visit Abraham this way. One must
understand first God seen Abraham as a righteous man and God had a covenant with
Abraham. The bodily human form of God is like a veil. Not seeing the full appearance of God
in glorified state. In other words seeing God in a form in which man might grasp. Only one
person in the Bible seen God’s glorified state and Moses only seen God’s backside.
The rest that seen God in glorified state only had visions or a form of the Son of God. The
fourth man in the fire in the story of the fiery furnace in Daniel was said to be the Son of God
or Son of Man. God’s visitation through rare through out the Bible in physical form did
happen. Yet Emmanuel(God with us) when He came in the New Testament came as a babe
born of woman.
If any of this seems odd to you as an adult don’t feel bad, I am sure many scholars have
trouble grasping this including myself. Yet if one believes the Bible, one believes God spoke to
Abraham and appeared to Abraham in bodily form.
Genesis 18:1-5 KJV
(1) And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in
the heat of the day;
(2) And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw
them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,
(3) And said, My Lord, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee,
from thy servant:
(4) Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the
(5) And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on:
for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.
The Lord and the two men agree to sit and rest awhile at Abraham tent. Abraham first went to
ask Sarah to make some bread for the guest and then went and found a servant to prepare a
calf for his guest. He would make sure they had plenty to eat as well as comfort of their dusty
Genesis 18:6-8 KJV
(6) And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three
measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes upon the hearth.
(7) And Abraham ran unto the herd, and fetcht a calf tender and good, and gave it unto a
young man; and he hasted to dress it.
(8) And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them;
and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.
Have you ever had company you wanted to get rid of. I have. And I have to wonder how and
what was Sarah thinking when Abraham asked her to make some bread for their guest. She
seems to do it willingly for after all she made it. Yet it can be aggravating to have unannounced
guest. Sarah the dutiful wife obeys her husband request with out a hint of not wanting to do so.
She actually might of been a little curious about these visitors for she sat behind the tent door
listening. And to her surprise they asked about her. And what she heard made her laugh.
Genesis 18:9-14 KJV
(9) And they said unto him, Where is Sarah thy wife? And he said, Behold, in the tent.
(10) And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah
thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him.
(11) Now Abraham and Sarah were old and well stricken in age; and it ceased to be with Sarah
after the manner of women.
(12) Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have
pleasure, my lord being old also?
(13) And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a
surety bear a child, which am old?
(14) Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee,
according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.
(15) Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. And he said, Nay; but thou
The Lord asked Abraham why did Sarah laugh. Sarah tried to deny her laughter, but she was
old and passed child bearing years, so it seemed impossible. Sarah reaction is quite normal
when we think about it. Yet Lord asked Abraham is nothing to hard for the Lord. In a year the
Lord would return and Sarah would have a child.
Every now and then you will hear the story of how someone wants to have a child, but
physically it is no longer possible. And yet because of some miracle of God they become
pregnant. God does a miraculous work sometime for a purpose. The purpose of this child
would be that he would carry on the promise God gave to Abraham and it would be through
this child’s child that the promise would begin to be sin in twelve children that would become
tribes of Israel. Only with God is all things possible. We can not give up hope of never
receiving the promise God lays on our hearts to be so, but we must be willing to wait for his
timing and will. Remembering nothing is impossible without God.