|Why Miracles Happen?
|Introduction and Lesson One: by turtle
Why miracles happen, seems to be a question many people ask. Or they ask, "how come i do not
receive a miracle in certain situations?" How come I am not healed yet and you prayed for me.
Or how come you do not see the wonders that were in the Bible? Are all the gifts of God dead or
are they still around? If a miracle happens what purpose does it serve? Though these question
some will say are hard to grasp and understand there is alot we can understand about miracles in
the Bible. We are going to be looking for several weeks at miracles in the Bible. What did they
show the people of that day and time and what can they teach us today. This actually overlaps a
little of God/Father to those who fear Him Bible Study and the Holy Spirit Bible Study. As state
in pass Bible studies this is not to try and put God in a box for He would never fit. Most Bible
Studies are to educate people about God's word and to help them in their own personal growth as
I hope this study will be. I can teach God's word as He leads me to, but I can not develope a
relationship for you with God. You yourself will need to take time to get to know Him on a
personal daily level.
We are starting our first lesson in the book of Mark. Mark is the second Gospel in the New
testament and is the shortest Gospel written it is believe by John Mark. There is nineteen miracles
record in this gospel. Mark is consider the Miracle book of the Gospels and perhaps fitting, with
so many question why miracles do not seem to happen today. Why we see few healings. The truth
is not that few miracles happen the truth is we fail to see miracles as miracles today. If someone
has the flu we do not see that as healing, but God definitely healed the person. We often forget
God has creator gave our bodies to heal itself. A miraculous sign and wonder though seem less or
is it. There was a show on television a few years ago called â€œItâ€™s a Miracle.â€� Whether
you recognize God has performing the Miracle or not a near escape from death is a miracle. A
terrible accident where man escapes with little injury is consider a miracle. Miracles in the Bible
were super events that God gave man to show who He is. Not all miracles do people look up and
say God did it. Yet God is the author of miracles. Special signs and wonders are also given to us,
so we will look up to God. We see a shooting star and fail to see the beauty as God creation.
The first sign or miraculous events starts in the first chapter of Mark. Christ is shown to John as
being the Messiah which John declares to the crowd.
Mark 1:1-11 KJV
(1) The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;
(2) As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall
prepare thy way before thee.
(3) The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths
(4) John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of
(5) And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all
baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.
(6) And John was clothed with camel's hair, and with a girdle of a skin about his loins; and he
did eat locusts and wild honey;
(7) And preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes
I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.
(8) I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.
(9) And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was
baptized of John in Jordan.
(10) And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like
a dove descending upon him:
(11) And there came a voice from heaven, saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well
Jesus was anointed for ministry. How awesome to witness such an event. The dove descending and
the voice speaking from heaven. For what purpose would Christ need to be anointed if He is
already God. It was not for Him that he was anointed it was so man might know who Jesus is.
When a king was anointed it declare his position. In this instance it was to speak of who Jesus is
and to declare he is the chosen one. Jesus was already God, He did not need such a elaborate
display to say who He was to Himself. It was for our benefit that we would know who Jesus is.
As we study Mark we will see his declaration of Christ authority over illness, nature and much
more. We will see his divinity.