|The Prophecy Revealed In Matthew
|Lesson One: by turtle
This study is about prophecies revealed in Matthew from a personal observation. Do not be surprised if I miss one. However
Matthew was written at the time to the Jewish people. One of things Jewish community would of want was proof of prophecies
being fulfilled. One could not go up and just say to a Jewish scholar you must be born again. One would wanted more proof or
facts that Jesus was who He claimed to be the Son of God. Miracles are a sign of a prophet and teacher, but prophecy would of
shown who Christ was as the Messiah. Jesus would have to fulfill the prophecy concerning who He was not by His own device
but God’s eternal plan.
First we examine the genealogy. It is simple really was Jesus born from the line of King David. He would have to be to fulfill
Matthew 1:16-17 KJV
(16) And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
(17) So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into
Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.
Though Joseph was not Jesus physical father by conception, he would have to be born into the line of David. Joseph would be
His father or guardian while growing up. He would have to have the title of lineage. However we know that Mary’s line from
the book of Luke was of line of priesthood. Her cousin Elizabeth was from the priestly line. By being a cousin it made her of
the priestly line.
Now another requirement was that the mother of Jesus would have to be a virgin.
Isaiah 7:14 KJV
(14) Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name
Matthew 1:23 KJV
(23) Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being
interpreted is, God with us.
This next verse I am adding into this portion because I just found it, however I had not heard this one before in this context, but
it makes since.
Jeremiah 31:22 KJV
(22) How long wilt thou go about, O thou backsliding daughter? for the LORD hath created a new thing in the earth, A woman
shall compass a man.
A women would surround a child speaking of a chance was coming. It speaks of more then just a change, but that this child
conception was by some other means. We know that Christ conception was thru the Holy Ghost and by the word of God. The
word became flesh in John 1:14. Just interesting observation through some digging.
Matthew 1:25 KJV
(25) And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
Joseph had no intercourse until after Mary had this child. Meaning Mary was a virgin. Only by the Holy Ghost could this
happen. We know it happened according to Luke 2.
I am stopping here today, but next week we are going to go in more depth as we travel through Matthew.